I created this job aid for a spiritual retreat I have coming up. It’s a list of 40 spiritual disciplines or practices arranged on cards and organized by the type of spiritual practice each one is. The information on the cards in compiled from a large number of sources, but I’m particularly indebted to the work of Adele Calhoun, Dallas Willard, Richard Foster, and John Ortberg.
You can download the full card deck on the Lesson and Materials Download page under the name “Spiritual Practice Cards (JOB AID)“, but here is one card that shows what they look like and how to use them.
Ideas About How To Use the Cards
- Give a deck of all 40 cards to participants, and ask them to find three practices that they are interested in learning more about. Have them read the Scriptures and other information on the card and then share what was most interesting for them.
- Have small groups share a favorite practice and a new practice that they would like to try and tell why.
- Ask participants to come up with ways they could combine two or more of the practices together, and have them share what impact they think combining them will have on their experience.
- Provide self-directed time during a retreat or workshop, and encourage participants to experiment with new practices. (Some practices, like Labyrinth Prayer, will require additional resources. Others, like Rule for Life, will require you to share a few examples, which are easy to find on the internet.) Have participants come back from the self-directed time and share about their experience.
- Ask participants to choose a practice that requires or benefits from partnering with another person, and have them try it together.
- Have participants share about a favorite practice and how they do it differently from any of the methods listed on the card.
If you think of other creative ways to use the cards, please leave me a comment. I would love to learn from your experience.
2 responses to “Spiritual Practice Cards (JOB AID)”
I’m going to be using these in my own personal life. I’m a Children’s Pastor, and I am continually finding the need to practice spiritual disciplines in my life intentionally. It’s so easy to get lost in the busyness of the job. I’m going to choose one each week for the next 40 weeks and practice that particular one for a week and see what God does in my life.
Thank you so much for all that you do — I have been using a lot of your object lessons with our kids on Sundays, and they’re loving them! I bought your JOSEPH’S JOURNEY book since we’ve been going through the life of Joseph with the kids, and it’s been awesome! 🙂
That’s great to hear, Shaun! Thanks for sharing your feedback. Very encouraging!