This game teaches that we have God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense (G.R.A.C.E.), but we have to keep returning to God every time we sin in order to keep the relationship strong. If we don’t, we wander further and further from God.
• Copies of the Grace or Guilt Gameboard (See the file, “God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense – Gameboard.ppt” on the “Lesson and Material Downloads” page.)
• Copies of “Grace Cards” (included at the end of this lesson text) – You will need a set for every group of six.
• A copy of the “Debrief Questions” at the end of this lesson. You will need one printout per group.
• Something to act as game pieces. You can use coins, torn pieces of paper, poker chips… You will need enough for all the children to have one.
• Dice (one per group)
• Optional – Prizes for the winners.
• Print the “Grace or Guilt – Gameboard,” and tape the two pages end-to-end. You will need one gameboard for each group of up to six children.
• Print out a copy of the “Grace Cards” at the end of the lesson, and cut them out. Place them face down beside the gameboard.
• Print out a copy of the Debrief Question (one per group).
• Practice the script
Use the following script (or modify to suit your needs):
• “We’re going to play a game to help us understand how sin takes us away from God and the many blessings He wants us to have.”
• “It’s called, ‘God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.”
• “First, I’ll need to divide you into small groups.” (Divide children into small groups of no more than six each. Then, hand out the gameboards and game pieces.)
• “Here’s the way this game is played.
o First, you will all roll the die (singular for dice) to see who goes first. The highest role wins and goes first. The next-highest roll goes second and so on. If you get a tie, those people should re-roll until someone rolls a higher number.
o Players should put their game pieces on the paths that match their playing order. For example, Path 1 for the first player, Path 2 for the second, and so on.
o Next, you will roll the die to see how many spaces to move your game piece.
o Each player starts in the “God’s Riches” space.
o At the end of every turn, you will draw a card.
o The card has a letter (or letters) on it.
o You want to collect all the letters in the word, “GRACE.”
o It’s okay if you have extra letters, but you need to have at least one of each of the letters on your cards.
o If you get the right letters to spell, “GRACE,” you can return to the “God’s Riches” space.
o You should put any cards you used to spell “GRACE” in a discard pile. If the group draws all the card in the draw pile, the discard pile will be shuffled and used as the new draw pile.
o The game ends when someone rolls a number that forces them to move more spaces than are left on the path.
o The winner of the game is the person who is closest to “God’s Riches.”
o In the event of a tie, you can let the tied players roll again to see who is the closest to “God’s Riches” after the roll.”
• “Does anyone have questions about how you will play?” (Answer questions. Then, let them get started. When they are done, award a prize for the winners if you like, and hand out a copy of the Debrief Questions on the next page. Give groups ten minutes to discuss the debrief questions, and then talk with the entire group about their answers.)
o Why is the game called, “God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense?
o What are “God’s Riches?”
o What does “Christ’s Expense” mean?
o How is this game like our Christian walk?
o Read Proverbs 4:14-15. What do you think the spaces represented?
o Read Proverbs 4:26-27. What do you think it means?
o Grace allows us to return to God after we have sinned, but what do we actually need to do to return to Him?