This object lesson helps people to see that the “impossible” is not always as impossible as it seems.
- Potatoes for every participant and for the facilitator (ripe potatoes work best)
- Straws for every participant and for the facilitator (make sure the straws are sturdy)
- Flip chart and markers (for memory verse if you want to post it)
Practice, practice, practice
- Ask for a volunteer to come to the front of the room.
- Show a straw and a potato, and ask your volunteer if he or she can put the straw through the potato.
- Let him or her try for a minute or so, and then say, “How many of you think putting the straw through the potato is impossible?”
- Take a quick count, and then say, “It seems impossible, but I’m going to show you how it’s done. In fact, before we are through, each one of you is going to do it yourself!”
- Give your volunteer the following instructions to help him or her put the straw through the potato:
- “Hold the potato in one hand at belly-button level.”
- “Make sure your hand is only on the sides on the potato and not on top – otherwise, you will put the straw through your hand.”
- “Place thumb of other hand over the top end of the straw.”
- “Looking directly at the potato (not your hand), jab the straw into it. It should go completely through.”
- Say, “Wasn’t that great! We just made the “impossible” possible.”
- Say, “Philippians 4:13 says, ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.’”
- Say, “That doesn’t mean literally ALL things. For example, I can’t swallow a car or finish a lesson on time. Those things would be absurd!”
- Say, “What Philippians 4:13 means is that I can do all things that God asks me to do. If God asks me to do it, He will give me strength to do it.”
- Say, “But back to the potato, I bet you’re wondering whether or not you might be able to put a straw through one, right?”
- Say, “Wanna try?” (Have some volunteers pass out potatoes and straws to all children. Then take them through the procedure listed above. Help those who are struggling.)
- Say, “Amazing, huh?”
- Say, “So whenever you are having a hard time with something God has asked you to do, I want you to remember putting a straw through a potato, and I want you to think about Philippians 4:13. ‘You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.’”