This object lesson helps children understand that God wants us to reflect His light to the world.
6-8 mirrors on stands (so that you can position them and prevent them from shaking)
A red laser (green lasers are more powerful but can damage eyes)
A smoke machine will help the laser beams to show up better, but it’s not necessary.
Test the activity to make sure you are able to position the mirrors correctly. To begin the activity, position the mirrors around the room, but point them all away from where the laser will be shining.
• Ask for enough volunteers to man each of the mirrors and one for the laser.
• Then use the following script, or modify to suit your purposes.
• “Jesus wants us to shine His light in the world.”
• “Let’s say Jesus is like this laser, and the mirrors around the room are like us.”
• “Jesus shines his light, and He’s looking for someone to catch it.” (Have volunteer with the laser shine the light around the room, avoiding shining in any eyes.)
• “Most of the people in the world aren’t even facing Jesus’ direction, but every once in awhile, someone turns toward Him.” (Have one of the volunteers with a mirror turn it toward the volunteer with the laser, and make sure the laser is captured by the mirror.)
• “When we turn toward Jesus, He reflects His light off us. We don’t have any light of our own, but God has designed us so that we can reflect His light if we turn toward Him.”
• “Jesus wants us to reflect His light to others. He shines His light through us to our friends and our family and to others He puts into our lives.” (Have the volunteer with the first mirror angle his mirror toward one of the other mirrors. Have that volunteer angle her mirror until she catches the laser beam.)
• “Once those people catch His light, they should then shine the light to others in their lives. You may not even know some of the people they know. So, your friend may know someone waaaaaayyyyyy over here (go to a mirror far across the room). Your friend can shine God’s light in places where you could never go.” (Have volunteers position their mirrors so that the laser beam connects. Then, position the rest of the mirrors, one-by-one so that the laser beam touches all the mirrors. Select one more volunteer from the group, and have the last mirror angel the laser beam to that volunteer’s heart.)
• “Jesus wants to work with us to shine His light throughout the entire world and into each person’s heart. In every tribe, every tongue and every nation.”