As a group, read the following Scriptures. Then, create a flipchart that compares what you know about the man before and after he met Jesus.
1. What changes did you notice?
2. Why wouldn’t Jesus allow the man to go with Him?
3. What impact do you think these changes had on the community as the man continued to interact with them in a new way?
4. Now, look at the story as a metaphor for what happens in a new believer’s life when he/she comes to Christ. What comparisons can you make?
5. How should this story influence how we live today?
Here are some of the comparisons about the before and after conditions of the demon-possessed man you can point out if the group doesn’t notice them. The middle line represents the man’s encounter with Jesus.
|o Spiritual bondage, demon possessed
o Social outcast, living in tombs
o Chained, physical bondage
o Cursing, shouting, running
o Hurting himself
|o Freed, delivered
o Fully clothed
o Came home
o Sitting at the feet of Jesus
o In his right mind