This game helps participants practice using the SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis tool by applying it to Scriptures from the book of Revelation.
- Print outs of the worksheet (one per team) “SWOT Analysis of the 7 Churches of Revelation – Worksheet” and of the Answer Key (one for the facilitator of “SWOT Analysis of the 7 Churches of Revelation – Answer Key”). Both files are available on the Lesson and Material Downloads page at http://www.teachingthem.com.
- Prizes for winners (optional)
- Print out the worksheet and the answer key.
- Practice the script.
Use the following script (or modify to suit your needs):
- “Let’s do a little competition to practice using the SWOT Analysis Tool.”
- (If you haven’t taught about SWOT yet, you might use these teaching points.)
- “SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.”
- “You use SWOT Analysis to evaluate a team, business, project or even yourself.”
- “You do it by brainstorming all your strengths, then all your weaknesses, then all your opportunities (positive things you could take advantage of in the future) and finally, all your threats (negative things you want to prepare for or avoid in the future).”
- “Strengths and Weaknesses are in the present.”
- “Opportunities and Threats are in the future.”
- “After you’ve completed the brainstorm, you would create an action plan to take advantage of your Strengths and Opportunities and protect against your Weaknesses and Threats.”
- “I’m about to hand out a worksheet that has Scriptures from Revelation 2-3 about the 7 Churches mentioned there.”
- “From what Jesus says about them, it’s pretty easy to do a SWOT Analysis.”
- “In your teams, you will read what Jesus said about the church and mark it as a Strength, a Weakness, an Opportunity or a Threat.”
- “I’ll give you ten minutes to complete the worksheet, and then I’ll share the answers – even if you aren’t done yet.”
- “The team with the most right answers wins!” (Run the activity and award prizes to the winning team(s) if you want.)