As a group, read the following Scriptures and make a chart (see example below) of all the women mentioned, the roles that they served in for the early Church and their impact (wherever possible).
o Luke 8:1-3 (women who supported Jesus)
o Luke 24:1-12 (women encounter the risen Lord)
o John 4:28-30, 39-42 (the Samaritan woman)
o John 20:11-18 (Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene)
o Acts 1:12-14, 2:1-4 (all joined together in prayer, Pentecost)
o Acts 2:14-18 (men and women will prophesy)
o Acts 8:1-3 (Saul persecutes both men and women)
o Acts 9:36-42 (Tabitha/Dorcas raised from the dead)
o Acts 16:13-15, 40 (Lydia’s conversion)
o Acts 18:24-26 (Priscilla and Aquila instruct Apollos)
o Acts 21:8-9 (Philip’s daughters)
o Romans 16:1-15 (Greetings to many, including Priscilla and Aquila and several women)
o 1 Corinthians 1:11 (information from Chloe’s household)
o 1 Corinthians 16:19 (Aquila and Priscilla send greetings)
o Philippians 4:2-3 (Paul pleads with Euodia and Synthyche)
o Colossian 4:15 (Paul greets Nympha)
o 2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-15 (Lois and Eunice, Timothy’s grandmother and mother)
o 2 Timothy 4:19 (Priscilla and Aquila with Timothy)
o 2 John 1-13 (letter to the chosen lady and her children)
1. Are you surprised by any of this information? Why or why not?
2. How do women’s roles compare to men’s roles in New Testament Scripture?
3. What do you think about Scriptures like 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, 1 Timothy 2:11-3:13 and Titus 1:5-9?
4. What do you think all this says about how God sees women? (Also see Galatians 3:28-29.)
5. What does all this mean for the Church today?