Satan has many different ways to attack us. This game will help children to understand that they can attack back with prayer. The game is a tossing game in which children will try to knock out targets with beanbags or something else that they can throw.
- 1 Peter 5:8
- Board with cutouts for targets (I recommend a sheet of plywood with sixteen (16) rectangles cut out of it (made to look like a collage picture frame). There should be four cutouts per row and four rows. Each cutout should be approximately six inches tall by 4 inches wide. Sheets of paper will be taped to the back of the board over the holes. The board should have a stand so that it is free-standing (or leaning) and can withstand being hit with beanbags. You can find a diagram in the file “Satan’s Tactics – Board Diagram” on the Lesson and Material Downloads page at http://www.teaching.them.com. Alternatively, you could tape the Tactic Cards mentioned below to the floor and have participants try to throw a beanbag on top of them.)
- Tactic cards to place in each of the cutouts (You can find these in the file “Satan’s Tactics – Tactic Cards” on the Lesson and Material Downloads page at http://www.teaching.them.com.)
- Tape to tape the cards in each of the cutouts and to mark the throwing line
- Beanbags (3-6 – you can substitute tennis balls or some other throwing object – label them with the word, “PRAYER.”)
- Scissors for cutting out the tactic cards
- Permanent marker for labeling the bean bags
- Create your target board.
- Print out the tactic cards and cut the pages down the middle. (There are two tactic cards per page.)
- Tape the tactic cards in the holes on the back of the target board with the words showing out.
- Use the tape to mark a throwing line about ten feet away from the target board.
- Label the beanbags to say “PRAYER.”
- Practice the script.
Use the following script (or modify to suit your needs):
- “We have an enemy, and he is trying to attack us.” (Have a volunteer read the 1 Peter 5:8.)
- “Satan has many different tactics (or ways) that he uses to attack us, but we can attack back with prayer to God.”
- “We’ve put many of Satan’s tactics on the target board over there, and your goal is to knock them all out with these bean bags, which represent prayers.”
- “Everyone gets two chances to throw a ‘prayer’ at the targets and try to defeat one of Satan’s tactics.”
- “Then, we’ll rotate. We’ll keep going until all of Satan’s tactics have been defeated.”
- “Any questions?” (Answer questions if there are any. Then, play the game, allowing the youngest person in the group to go first. When all the Tactics have been knocked out, discuss the Debrief Questions below. You can use the Rhyme Time to reinforce the main point of the lesson.)
- Have you ever been attacked in one of these ways? Which ones?
- Do you think prayer would help? Why or why not?
- Do you know of any other attacks Satan makes against us?
- How can you fight against those?
When Satan attacks
Send a prayer back!